常見錯誤 Common mistake: Are you a Hong Kong People?

常見錯誤 Common mistake: Are you a Hong Kong People?

Posted by Grant Richardson, 2nd September, 2015

If you are from Australia, then apart from saying “I’m from Australia”, you can say:

(Noun) I’m an Australian. / I’m an Aussie. (informal)

(Adjective) I’m Australian. / I’m Aussie. (informal)

…from China:

(Adjective) I’m Chinese.

…from USA:

(Noun) I’m an American. / I’m a US citizen. (formal)

(Adjective) I’m American.

…from Great Britain (England, Scotland or Wales):

(Noun) I’m a Brit. (informal)

(Adjective) I’m British.

People from a particular city can be labeled as such:

…from New York:

a New Yorker.

…from London:

a Londoner

For other cities, you can search online. For example: “What do you call people from Sydney?” You will see the answer is ‘Sydneysider’

So, what if you were born in Hong Kong? As Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China, you could say:

(Adjective) I’m Chinese.

However, if, for legal or other purposes, you need to specify your place of origin as Hong Kong, of course, you could say “I’m from Hong Kong”.

Other commonly used expressions include:

(Noun) I’m a Hong Konger. (most ethnically neutral)

(Adjective) I’m Hong Kongese / I’m Hong Kong Chinese. (more formal, but most likely interpreted to mean that your ethnicity is Chinese, in addition to your nationality).

To say “I’m a Hong Kong people” sounds like bad English because the word ‘people’ is a plural noun (i.e. it can’t be used with ‘a’).

Also, “a Hong Kong person” does not sound like an actual noun to indicate a place of origin, in the same way “a UK person” does not.

Leave a Comment