Posted by Grant Richardson, 4th April, 2016
Your first sentence for writing task 1 should be a paraphrase of the question.
Take for example the following task 1 question, which I answered in an earlier post:
The graph below shows the proportion of the population aged 65 and over between 1940 and 2040 in three different countries.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Paraphrasing, we might write:
The line graph illustrates the percentage of people who are at least 65 years old in Japan Sweden and USA from 1940 to 2040.
Here are a few commonly used synonyms and alternative phrases to help you with paraphrasing the question:
• line graph = graph
• bar chart = chart / graph
• shows = gives information about = illustrates = (The pie chart) gives a breakdown of = (The map) is of
Do not copy the word ‘below’ from the question because there will be no graph below your answer!
• percentage of = proportion of = ratio of
• number of = figures for
• the population = people
• (aged) xx and over = (who are) at least xx
• between 19xx and 19yy = from 19xx to 19yy = over a zz-year period
• in three different countries = in [country 1], [country 2] and [country 3]